Volunteers For Peace offers over 3,000 projects in more than 100 countries around the world! You can view and register for current projects by visiting our Volunteer Project List.
Credit: E. Johnson ~ Haiti 2011
Since 1982, Volunteers For Peace has been placing thousands of volunteers in international voluntary service projects across the globe! Through our large networks of partner organizations, we can set you up with a project that meets your needs and helps fulfill a need in the local community where the project is housed. Simultaneously, volunteers are building life-long friendships and developing cultural understanding across borders of nationality, race, religion and beliefs while contributing to a tangible project outcome! Types of project include:
- Workcamps - Volunteer with people from 4 or more countries for a 2-3 week service project, building cultural understanding and meeting a local need
- Individual Service Adventures - Create a personalized 2-week to 1-year international service project
- Group Projects - Custom-build an international service experience for your educational or community group. Discounts are available for groups based on number of volunteers!
Volunteers pay a $500 registration fee that covers accommodation and food during the project. Volunteers are also responsible for their own airfare. In many of our projects in the developing world (Asia, Africa and Central and South America) there may be an extra fee of $200-$500. For more information, please visit our Volunteer Info page!
**Please note - we are only able to work with volunteers who are U.S. residents or American citizens living overseas. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unsure about whether you can volunteer with us and we'll point you in the right direction.**
Preparation & Resources
- Volunteer Resources - The information and resources listed will aid you in researching the areas you are interested in traveling to and the documents required.
- What to Bring - This is a list of suggested items to bring to your project. You will need to amend the list depending on the countries you are traveling to, local climates, and the work you will be doing.
- Volunteers should research the country they will be working in prior to arrival. There are resources provided in this section that will help you do this. The best preparation is to align your expectations with reality as much as possible ~ and to be open to new (and often not perfect) experiences. Please be sure you read our Terms, Conditions and Cancellation Policy.
- A detailed information sheet will be sent to volunteers at least 4 weeks before the start of their volunteer project with specific project details, what to bring, contact information of our partner organization abroad, and when/where to meet to begin your project.