Volunteers For Peace strives to build community and cultural understanding at home and abroad. Since World War I, this type of international voluntary service has been instrumental in building peace and creating grassroots change and cultural diversity in communities around the world. Our scholarships will be awarded to those applicants who are motivated to participate fully in an international voluntary service project and who understand the importance of sharing their experience with their community when they return home. This type of sharing is extremely important to furthering VFP's mission and building international understanding at a local level in the US. Scholarships are not awarded based on financial need since about 85% of our participants are students on limited budgets and we have no way of effectively measuring need.
In 2013, VFP awarded 4 scholarships. Thank you to everyone who applied! Each scholarship provides its recipient with a waived VFP registration fee, a $500 stipend, an online orientation and leadership training, and one-on-one support from VFP staff to select and meaningfully participate in a project.
- Applicants must be permanent residents of the United States.
- Applicant age requirements are different for each scholarship - please make sure you qualify before submitting an application.
- Each winner will pick a project of their choice within each scholarship country/category. VFP has final approval over project choice & relevancy to awarded scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients must register for a VFP Project by June 1, 2013 or the scholarship will be forfeited.
- Cancellation by the volunteer after confirmation in a project causes forfeiture of the scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients must read and agree to VFP's Terms and Conditions.
- After completion of a project, scholarship recipients will be required to contribute at least 2 blogs, pictures and documentation of public outreach.
- VFP scholarships will not be awarded to the same person more than once
C. Zimmerman ~ 2011 VFP Scholarship Recipient to India
Other Available Scholarships
America's Unoffical Ambassadors Mosaic Scholarship Program : Currently accepting applications for the 2012 year. The AUA Mosaic Scholarship is a program that is increasing the number of Unofficial Ambassadors to the Muslim World who represent America in all its diversity. The program provides scholarships to support Americans volunteering with an AUA Directory-listed organization in a Muslim-majority country. Scholarships up to $5,000 can be used to cover program fees and/or travel. VFP volunteers are encouraged to apply!
2012 VFP Scholarship Recipients
In 2012, VFP was able to grant scholarships to a total of 10 volunteers. These volunteers participated projects throughout the world in Iceland, Italy, Japan, Ukraine, Estonia, Vietnam, India, and Haiti. Read about their experiences here!