Discover Haiti, Rediscover Yourself
Volunteers For Peace marks over 15 years of collaboration with grassroots Haitian community organizations! Since 2011 we have sent over 250 volunteers to rural communities. Our projects foster civic engagement and community development and focus on clean drinking water, education, and gardening. Click here for details on our upcoming project. We hope you will join us on a life-changing volunteer opportunity in Haiti!
A Recent History of VFP Work in Haiti
- In August Cara Connors, VFP Board Member and Clean Water for LaVallee trainer, brought 11 international volunteers with her to LaVallee. The group ran a 2 week training for youth, installed 10 Biosand Water Filters in 2 schools, planted over 100 trees at a local water source and exchanged culture and friendship with local Haitians!
- In July and August, 11 volunteers supported a summer day camp at the Eglise Primitive in Petionville. The group included a mother and her 8 year old daughter from the Netherlands!
- In June, 8 volunteers worked in Duchity on the construction of a vocational school. They also ran a 1-week camp for local children.
- In March, VFP Executive Director Meg Brook, spent a week in LaVallee with a group of students from Norwich University exploring the challenge of water in this area. Students from Norwich will return in December to assist one school in providing water for its students.
- In November a group of 11 international volunteers joined VFP Director, Meg Brook, for an eight-day project focusing on sustainable gardens and cultural exchange in the schools! Read about the experience here!
- In August, Cara Connors, a volunteer and Clean Water for LaVallee trainer, returned for 3 weeks to support our Clean Water Project. She found our trainers engaged and ready to co-facilitate two trainings with her. Both trainings were focused on youth in the area. The first CJVAH (Club des Jeunes Valleens pour l’Hygiene) was formed!
- In July and August, 21 international volunteers ran summer day camps for Haitian youth in the villages of Dade and Ternier.
- In June, VFP Executive Director Meg Brook visited all 3 partner organizations in Haiti, planning for this summer's projects and continued collaboration in the future! She also brought a generous donation from Rick Marcotte Central School in South Burlington, Vermont. The students at RMCS collected pennies and raised enough money to purchase 10 Biosand Water Filters which will be installed as part of our summer camps in Dade and Ternier.
- VFP and Haiti Circle of Friends host 4 volunteers at a family-style orphanage in Fromanthe, Haiti from December 27, 2011 - January 12, 2012.
- 52 VFP volunteers traveled to Haiti to work with CODEHA, community organization in La Vallee de Jacmel.
- VFP subsidized and led first-annual CODEHA summar camp for 1000 rural Haitian youth. Find more details here where VFP Executive Director Meg Brook discusses this amazing achievement on public access television.
- VFP and Clean Water for La Vallee fundraised for and installed over 30 biosand water filters in 7 different locations, ensuring clean water for more than 1,500 Haitian students.
Group Volunteer Opportunities
Create a custom project in Haiti for your educational or community group! Please contact us to start creating the group experience of a lifetime.
Creole Language Training
It's extremely important for VFP volunteers to Haiti to know basic Creole in order to communicate in Haiti. Please click here to access our Creole Language Training program!
Year-round Projects in Haiti
There are year-round opportunities to volunteer in Haiti through VFP - click here to find them.
Haitian and US volunteers enjoying an afternoon of sharing culture
Credit: N. Gordon ~ 2011