Discover Haiti, Rediscover Yourself
Volunteers For Peace marks over 15 years of collaboration with grassroots Haitian community organizations! Explore this life-changing volunteer opportunity through:
A Recent History of VFP Work in Haiti
VFP continues its work in Haiti focusing on Clean Water, sustainable gardens and education. This summer we are offering 7 projects for volunteers in Haiti.2012
In March, VFP Executive Director Meg Brook, spent a week in LaVallee with a group of students from Norwich University exploring the challenge of water in this area. Students from Norwich will return in December to assist one school in providing water for its students.
- In November a group of 11 international volunteers joined VFP Director, Meg Brook, for an eight-day project focusing on sustainable gardens and cultural exchange in the schools!
- Cara Connors, a volunteer and Clean Water for LaVallee trainer, returned for 3 weeks to support our Clean Water Project. She found our trainers engaged and ready to co-facilitate two trainings with her. Both trainings were focused on youth in the area. The first CJVAH (Club des Jeunes Valleens pour l’Hygiene) was formed!
- In August, 9 international volunteers helped run our second summer day camp, in the village of Ternier.
- In July, 12 international volunteers arrived to run a summer day camp in the village of Dade!
- Rick Marcotte Central School in South Burlington donated 10 Biosand Water Filters. We are installing them at our summer camp schools in Dade and Ternier!
- In June, VFP Executive Director Meg Brook visited all 3 partner organizations in Haiti, planning for this summer's projects and continued collaboration in the future!
- CODEHA, VFP and VFP volunteers collaborated to fundraise for renovation of the earthquake-damaged CODEHA community center. Photo (right) depicts one of the new walls.
- VFP and Vermont Haiti Project organize multiple winter projects focused on cultural exchange & construction projects with a secondary school in rural Duchity, Haiti.
- VFP and Circle of Friends Haiti organize a winter break volunteer project assisting in a family-style orphanage in Fromanthe, Haiti from December 27, 2011 - January 12, 2012.
- VFP and Clean Water for La Vallee have a goal to install 50 more biosand water filters at 10 more schools and train 100 more Community Health Promoters.
- 52 VFP volunteers traveled to Haiti to work with CODEHA, community organization in La Vallee de Jacmel.
- VFP subsidized and led first-annual CODEHA summar camp for 1000 rural Haitian youth. Find more details here - VFP Executive Director Meg Brook discusses this amazing achievement on public access television.
- VFP and Clean Water for La Vallee fundraised for and installed over 30 biosand water filters in 7 different locations, ensuring clean water for thousands in the area
Many thanks to the "Muslims Against Hunger Project" who donated 12,000 meals to the VFP/CODEHA summer camp and 24 biosand water filters to region schools in 2011!
- 21 VFP volunteers worked with CODEHA planting bamboo, constructing gardens and fences, and renovating earthquake-damaged CODEHA compound buildings
Group Volunteer Opportunities
Create a custom project in Haiti for your educational or community group! Please contact us to start creating the group experience of a lifetime.
Creole Language Training
It's extremely important for VFP volunteers to Haiti to know basic Creole in order to communicate in Haiti. Please use our Creole Langauage Training session to begin!
Year-round Projects in Haiti
There are year-round opportunities to volunteer in Haiti through VFP - click here to find them.
Haitian and US volunteers enjoying an afternoon of sharing culture
Credit: N. Gordon ~ 2011